Sunday, April 15, 2018

Add to resume...Tattoo artist, sorta

Today since it has been raining all day I spent most of the day in the barn. Sheared a little white yearling. Her fleece is like silk.  Very soft very low micron.

I also had to TATOO. Yep tattoo some ewes.

Since I have 9 ewes that look identical, (they are all related),  I have trouble telling them apart. I had ear tags in but they have removed them somehow over the months. This way they are ear tagged permanently and I am able to tell the difference as they get older.

Now I don't use a traditionally tattoo machine but a hand held tool in which I put the number in, clean the ear with alcohol,  then squeeze. Remove the punch and rub black tattoo ink into the wound.

You can see the ones we did with their signature black ear.  Over time all you will see is a black number in their ear.

I hate doing it, but since USDA requires identification on animals used for breeding and market,  it has to be done.

Now done with all the hard work so I can chill and watch some TV for the evening.

Peace Out Farm PEEPS!

No comments:

Post a Comment